Covid19 impacts the growth of the vending industry
The European Vending & Coffee Service Association (EVA) just published her latest numbers on the European vending and Office Coffee Service (OCS) industry. What we can conclude from this report is that the vending industry was delivering sustained revenue growth in almost all European markets prior to the Covid-19 pandemic. The total revenue of the market rose an impressive 3.4% to €17.2 billion, while the machine field base (number of machines) has grown 1.1% to 4.16 million.
But the corona crisis had a serious impact (like on many other industries). Due to the pandemic, there was a serious drop in sales, vends and turnover in 2020. It’s not a big surprise actually, and to fully understand the latest numbers, I invite you to also check the EVA Covid-19 impact report published not too long ago as well. (check the link at the bottom of the article).
But from the latest report, we can notice and identify a few interesting items and trends. Some of them should actually remain after the pandemic recovery. Here are a few of the items we get to observe in the latest report:
- In Europe, vending machines sell 99 million food and beverage items every day;
- Hot beverages now represent 80% of the total market in terms of the number of vends;
- There are around 185 Europeans per vending machine but this varies dramatically from 60 people/machine in the Netherlands to 1,850 in Turkey;
- Over 80% of European machines are located in the workplace;
- Ukraine has seen the largest market increase, with impressive field base growth of 10.4% and a massive 28% growth in revenue within the last 5 years;
- Across European vending, paper cups are now (just) more common than plastic beverage cups, but significant individual market differences apply;
- Micromarkets have now been reported in 13 of the 22 markets covered, with Sweden and Russia leading the way.
These are interesting facts and figures from a market often unknown or even neglected by many. Therefore, I thought it was interesting to share them with you guys. In case you want to read more, you can always get in touch with the EVA for the full report or specific individual country market reports.
More info : http://www.vending-europe.euMarket DataVendingDistribution AutomatiqueEuropean Vending Association