PLMA’s very rational World of Private label coming to Amsterdam
Founded in 1979
The Private Label Manufacturers Association was founded in 1979, and is an international trade organization dedicated to the promotion of private label brands. The PLMA represents more than 3,500 manufacturers and suppliers worldwide. On a yearly basis, the association organizes a big gathering of suppliers, manufacturers and retailers in Amsterdam. This year’s event will take place on 19th and 20th of May in the RAI Exhibition Centre in Amsterdam.
PLMA’s key figures and facts in Amsterdam
- Around 4200 exhibiting companies from 70 countries
- Including 56 national and regional pavilions
- Companies solely producing private labels, other producing both brands and private labels, …
- Over 12.000 visitors
- From 115 countries
- Buyers, agents, wholesalers, professional of the private label sector…
The products represented are varied as the show covers food as well as non-food. The organiser has separated both sections in separate halls.
- In the food area visitors will be able to see following categories: fresh, frozen and refrigerated foods, dry grocery, and beverages to name a few.
- In the non-food, the categories represented include: cosmetics, health and beauty, household and kitchen, auto aftercare, garden, and housewares & DIY.
PLMA’s animations and features
The fair planned a few events and dedicated spaces to enhance the experience of its visitors.
- The Matchmaker: for visitors to arrange appointments online with exhibitors
- Idea Supermarket: a dedicated space to illustrate what retailers around the world are doing with their private label products and packaging.
- New Product Expo: some of the latest innovations submitted by exhibitors
- Pre-show seminar (Monday, 18 May 2015): Presentation of the International Salute to Excellence Awards (see next article), and also two reports: “Retailers to Watch in 2015” (An analysis of the retailers that will be making news in the year ahead) and “Report from America” (A look at the latest trends in US retailing and private label)
My 20/CENT on PLMA’s event in Amsterdam
Usually, when a trade fair has an international appeal and is happening in a city nearby, I never hesitate to plan a visit. However in this case, I always hesitate. From previous visits, I can tell you it’s a very rational event. Yes I admit, the fair is very well organised, and there are a few interesting events (such as the Idea Supermarket or the New Product Expo for example). Also this year, let’s salute the new initiative of the International Salute to Excellence Awards.
But at the same time, it’s an event where everything is incredibly rational, and do forgive me for saying ‘visually unsexy’. Website, layout, visuals, …nothing seems to have changed in the last couple of years. Of course, don’t change a recipe that wins, and keeping things at a rational level is the spirit of private labels in a way.
So if you are in the private label business, do go to this ‘not to miss’ event of your industry. If not, plan carefully.
PLMA’s World of Private Label, from 19th till 20th of May 2015, RAI Exhibition Centre, Amsterdam, Netherlands, www.plmainternational.com
AmsterdamPLMAPrivate LabelMarque De DistributeurMddTradefairFoireFairSalonTrend