Anuga launches a satellite in Turkey
Anuga’s first spinoff
Like all big TV-shows or movie franchises, the spinoff is a concept built to continue a winning formula. So here comes ANUFOOD Eurasia a fair which will be implemented as a project of Reed Tüyap, a joint venture between Reed Exhibitions and Fairs Tüyap 'Group, and Koelnmesse. ANUFOOD Eurasia becomes the first satellite of Anuga in Cologne.
From the 14th till the 16th of May 2015, the event takes place in Istanbul, and intends to be the premiere of many more. The new trade fair aims to be a new platform for the entire region.
ANUFOOD Eurasia will present a wide product range: Meat, dairy, chilled and fresh food, drinks and hot beverages, fine food, well food and organic procedure, bread, bakery, confectionary, snacks, frozen food and special halal products as well as the full range of service and retail technologies.
Gerald Böse, President and Chief Executive Officer of Koelnmesse is delighted: "This result confirms our market-oriented trade fair concept. Istanbul is the region's hub and thus the optimal meeting point for buyers and decision makers in the industry."
First event, not many numbers yet
Well as it is the first time the event is organised, we can’t obviously give many figures. But for a first edition, the organisers managed to attract international exhibitors next to major regional players.
- About 150 companies from 22 countries
- Approximately 25% of exhibitors come from abroad - from Bulgaria, Denmark, Germany, Greece, Iran, Italy, Canada, Korea, Lithuania, Moldova, Austria, Pakistan, Poland, Saudi Arabia, Spain, Tunisia, the United Arab Emirates and the USA.
The supporting program
- Cooking Shows: no food fair without cooking shows. The demos will be supported by Tüyap Palas (5 star) and their chefs.
- Seminar by Retail Türkiye: The seminar about “food and food retail targets of Turkey” will be supported by Retail Türkiye magazine
- Seminar on food trends: Innova Market Insights will show the latest food trends at a seminar and new product trends pavilion
- German-Turkish Food Congress: The congress will have a look at the Turkish and European market entry as well as into the future of German-Turkish food traditions
- TSE Information Meetings: seminars held by the Turkish Standards Institute (TSE)
- Other Events: other events will be taking place on various booths. They include more cooking demos, seminars etc.
The arguments for an event in Turkey
The food and beverage industry is a major aspect of the Turkish economy, and accounts for 20% of the country´s 839bn GDP. In the past five years, the number of products has more than doubled in the area of fast-moving consumer goods. Some believe that by 2017, Turkey will be the 13th largest food market between the Black and Mediterranean Sea.
Plus visa regulations in Turkey are less strict especially for exhibitors e.g. from the MENA region
The choice to hold the event in Istanbul (population 14,1 million) is justified by the facts that the city is:
- the second largest city in the Middle East
- the fifth largest city in the world by population.
- an important hub to the MENA, CIS and Balkan region.
My 20/Cent on this first edition
For a first edition, it does look quite appealing. Of course Koelnmesse has a lot of experience and their counterpart in the joint venture as well. But one can only notice that the boxes on the checklist of ‘characteristics a trade fair needs to have’ are ticked: international and local players, location in a growing market, events to enhance the experience of the visitor…
Also, it seems that Koelnmesse has the ambition to get different satellites all over the world and expand an entire network this way. A little bit like SIAL is already doing. But again as I mentioned once in a previous article**, I don’t believe that as an exporter or a visitor you should choose for one or the other. You should choose the events you participate to in function of the relevance for your business and future plans at the appropriate time.
Anufood Eurasia: From the 14th till the 16th of May, Tüyap Fair Convention and Congress Center, Istanbul, Turkey, www.anufoodeurasia.com