Preview to MDD Expo 2015
Already the 14th edition
This year, it is already the 14th edition for MDD Expo. The trade fair dedicated to private label manufacturers will be held in Paris on 31st of March and 1st of April.
The organizers are gathering exhibitors whose products cover all branches of the industry, and aim all types of retail channels: large-scale retailers, Home Service, Freezer Centers, E- commerce, Drive-through, Catering, French export professionals...
If you take a look at the information from the organizers, the fair, which is actually very French-oriented, becomes more and more international. A third of the exhibitors is coming from abroad, and almost one out of five visitor is international (17%). The organizers target the international market with different campaigns (e.g. specific actions in Sweden, Denmark…).
- Created in 2001: it’s already the 14th edition of the event
- 550 manufacturers for food and non- food, 31 % of them are international
- A bit more than 5500 visitors, 17 % of them are international
The focus areas
The fair is divided in six major areas, in order to cater to all branches of the industry:
- Meat and Seafood products/Delicatessen
- Fresh and Frozen products
- Non-food: Drugstore, Cosmetics, Hygiene, Bazaar, DIY...
- Ingredients: a focus on this sector in partnerships with the Club PAI
- Les Pepites is back, it’s a special concept where the area is dedicated to SME’s and startups
Like on all fairs, Innovation is a key attraction
Private labels still work a lot on their image. The idea that private labels are copies of A-brand, and don’t innovate at all, is a major theme that manufacturers and retailers still fight for today.
Therefore, to play on that theme, the organizers of MDD Expo organize a few events where Innovation is at the center.
- Innovations Store: a panorama of already commercialized products, given you a good feel of the latest major trends
- Espace Dégustation (Tasting Area): again the students of the Paris School for the food, tourism, and hotel business (EPMTTH) will be showing off their skills and demonstrate how creative private labels can be.
- Pack Store: packaging innovations of retailer own brands will take center stage in this area. The selected items should demonstrate aspects such as convenience, sustainable development, space-saving...
- Conferences: again an extensive program has been scheduled to offer visitors the opportunity to gather information on the industry and its latest trends.
Two new events worth mentioning are the first edition of the “Trophées des savoir-faire innovants” and the fact that early February MDD Expo organized a symposium on senior citizens.
- The “Trophées des savoir-faire innovants”: launched in 2015, the award is designed to source and promote the latest innovations of the exhibitors
- Symposium on senior citizens: the topic was interesting, but as I couldn’t attend I cannot give you much information about it. But just the organization of it, shows that MDD Expo is one of those events who tries to go out of the usual expectations one might have about a trade fair.
My 20/cent on MDD 2015
Last year I could visit the fair quite quickly. The area is not that big, and you get to move quite quickly in the different aisles. In terms of content, the exhibitors are of course not all sexy as some are definitely just production-oriented. But one can indeed find a few good surprises. So this fair does manage to inspire you. And if you really need more arguments, here is one: don’t forget that the registration is free.
Check out last year’s visit on:
MDD Expo, March 31st –April 1st 2015, Porte de Versailles, Paris, France
More info www.mdd-expo.comMdd ExpoPrivate LabelMarque De DistributeurParisMddRetailFoodNon FoodFairFoire