A bigger idea Supermarket for PLMA in Amsterdam
A bigger Idea Supermarket
It’s approximately thirty years now that the PLMA’s annual “World of Private Label” takes place in Amsterdam. The show aims to attract buyers and manufacturers from all over the world for two full days.
The trade fair covers a wide variety of areas with: food (fresh, frozen, ambient…), non-food (health, beauty…), DIY…
- 2400 exhibitors including over 55 national and regional pavilions.
- 12000 visitors expected
The main attractions and features
- The Idea Supermarket: the dedicated area moves to a new place this year in the RAI Elicium. The organizers feature in this area
- the winners of the International Salute to Excellence Awards,
- also private label ranges from more than 60 retailers around the world,
- the new product expo
- and something new this year with three new special information areas on the latest developments in product ingredients, on packaging and packaging materials, and a third area on creative television commercials that retailers are using to promote their own brands.
- Seminar program: one day before the show opens, visitors can attend conferences and seminars by Nielsen, Euromonitor… just to name a few.
Brian Sharoff, President of PLMA, explains for this year’s event: “The expansion of Idea Supermarket reflects the growth and increasing complexity of private label. Retailers and suppliers must now be aware of the latest innovations in product ingredients and packaging materials in order to satisfy consumers and meet the competition. In addition, retailers today are effectively using television commercials to promote their brands and tell consumers about the quality and value of their private label ranges.”
My 20/CENT on PLMA
The World of Private Label in Amsterdam is often described as bigger than it’s counterpart in Paris, MDD Expo. Several manufacturers told us that they like visiting both or even exhibit on both, which allows them to conclude in Amsterdam the contacts they made in Paris a month or two ago. Ok, fair enough. I remember visiting both in the past and I can see similarities in both with the fact that private label manufacturers are really numbers oriented and it’s all in the negotiation not the presentation. You won’t find ‘eye-catching out of this world sexy’ booths on these kinds of trade fairs. But if you are in the business for private labels, these shows are unmissable.
In a way this sobriety in the presentation can also be found in the communication for the event. The PLMA’s ‘World of Private Label’ seems to still use the same marketing as thirty years ago,. No re-branding every year, no mobile phone app… but at the same time, why change if it’s working.
For my part I won’t be joining due to a busy schedule and I personally find the investment in time and money (Amsterdam is quite a pricey ticket compared to other professional shows) not worth it.
PLMA’s “World of Private Label”, from 24th till 25th of May 2016, RAI, Amsterdam, Netherlands, www.plmainternational.com
PlmaAmsterdamRai AmsterdamPrivate LabelMarque De DistributeurMddInternational