Sixth edition of SIAL Middle East is coming up
Aiming to continue its growth
From 7th till 9th of December, Abu Dhabi will welcome SIAL Middle East.
For those in need of a reminder, SIAL Middle East is part of SIAL Group, which includes SIAL Paris, SIAL China, SIAL Canada, SIAL Brazil, SIAL ASEAN Manila and SIAL InterFOOD Jakarta. Aimed at professionals of the food industry (retail, out of home, foodservice, catering, …), the trade fair plans to continue to grow and increase its impact in the region.
Some of the figures for 2014
- 15736 visitors from 82 countries
- 636 chefs at La Cuisine by SIAL
- 434 VIP hosted buyers from 34 countries
- 818 exhibitors from 44 countries
- 27 national pavilions
For this year’s event, the organization expects more than 900 exhibitors from more than 30 countries.
Ali Yousef Al Saad, Chairman of the organizing committee for SIAL 2015 and Acting Director of Communications and Community service Division at Abu Dhabi Food Control Authority (ADFCA) had this to say about this year’s event: “The UN expects the world’s population to hit nine billion people by 2050, which, combined with the increased calorific intake of a growing, more affluent population, is predicted to dramatically hike food demand in the decades to come.
As well as the on-going problem of food security and scarcity, this year’s new look SIAL Middle East will also focus on innovation and global food trends in meeting increased demand and catering to a diverse world where cultural influences, economic forces and nutritional education and awareness will continue to impact food production and availability.
ADFCA, with the full support of the leaders of the nation, is committed to further developing a sustainable food sector in the emirate with particular focus on supporting and participating in a range of international events with the aim of further enhancing innovation within the region”.
SIAL Middle East’s main features
- Food Security round tables: The issue of food security is quite important for the region of GCC (Gulf Cooperation Council). Therefore, the Food Security Center Abu Dhabi (FSCAD) will gather top government officials, top CEOs and industry experts to discuss ways of ensuring the availability of affordable, sustainable and nutritious food.
- La Cuisine by SIAL: The contest will see professional chefs compete against each other. This event can also be found on other SIAL events, and is always a meeting point for foodservice professionals.
- The Hosted Buyer Programme: For many manufacturers and buyers, meeting and discussing business opportunities is the main reason to visit an event such as SIAL. In 2014, the programme welcomed 434 pre-qualified, fully hosted F&B buyers from 34 countries. This year’s event aims to do even better.
- The Regional Barista Championship: Organised in association with the International Coffee & Tea Festival, this competition will welcome regional barista competitors dreaming to obtain the title of best regional barista. The latest innovations from the coffee world will be showcased at a specially created Brew Bar.
- SIAL World Summit: You need an invitation if you wish to attend the conference. The organisation expects 700 delegates and 40 high profile speakers.
- SIAL INNOVATION: Innovation has always been promoted and put at the centre of the attention at any SIAL event. So for SIAL Middle East it is also the case. The competition is only opened to exhibitors and judged by XTC World Innovation. The categories cover several branches of the food industry (retail, foodservice…). Participants will also be able to take part in the ‘Innovation in the Air’ category, where the winners have their dishes catered onboard airline fleets from across the world.
My 20/CENT on SIAL Middle East
Via former visitors and exhibitors, I managed to gather information on the event, as I sadly never had the chance to visit myself (yet J). Overall the event is confirmed as a great opportunity to develop business in the Middle East. The show takes place in a fast growing region and all the ingredients of the usual SIAL recipe are present.
On this last point I certainly agree. Looking at the different communication and press releases, it seems that the show is definitely packed with content.
On top of that, one can also notice that the organization is making full use of social media. If you follow for example on Twitter, you can indeed see regular posts concerning the show for a long time already.
So there you go, definitely worth a visit if you are near.
SIAL Middle East, from 7th till 9th of December 2015, Abu Dhabi National Exhibition Centre, Abu Dhabi, UAE, www.sialme.com
SialMiddle EastComexposiumInnovationXtcAbu DhabiSial NetworkBarista